Thursday, September 9, 2010

Chapter Four.

Veronica

“She’s trying to make me jealous.” Veronica said. “No she isn’t. Just because she throws herself out there, doesn’t mean anything.” Jacqueline said. “No Jacquie. I know her. Teresa is this, hideous, 2 faced, backstabbing model and no one thinks she’s even pretty. I mean look at her. You’ve known me for 13 years. You know I wouldn’t just jump to conclusions like this without there being a reason.” Jacqueline laughed. “Actually, you do jump to conclusions without there being a reason. You think you’re so amazing that everyone who is actually better than you, is jealous. Get over yourself.” Jacqueline and Veronica had been together since they were young. Veronica’s mom and Jacqueline’s dad got married when the girls were 4. “I was only trying to make conversation and tell you what’s going on. Get out of my room you monstrous bitch.” Jacqueline made one of her ‘mad-as-hell’ look at Veronica. As she was walking out, she took a flower vase from Veronica’s dresser and shoved it at Veronica’s face. “What the hell?” Veronica yelled. She continued her work on the computer. Looking for Teresa Long’s modeling photos she came across one and murmured to herself “I want her dead.” Veronica and Teresa were never good friends but a couple months ago, Teresa humiliated Veronica in front of the whole stadium at the rally. Veronica never got her way with people, unless there was a threat involved. That usually got her in even more trouble. This time, she was determined to get her way with Teresa.

“Veronica.” Her step-dad said as he knocked on the frame of her bedroom door. “What?” She yelled. “Get dressed. We’re all going out to dinner in about 30 minutes.” They were always doing something on a Friday night but this time, Veronica didn’t feel like doing anything but plotting revenge. “Jack, I’m not going anywhere with any of you. I’m going to a party tonight. Have fun at dinner.”She said with attitude. “A party huh? And when is this party?” Jack asked. “Midnight.” She answered. “I don’t think so. You better be ready in 30 minutes.”

“Or what, Jack? What are you going to do?” Jack had basically been her male role in her life for 13 years but she’s never treated him like anything more but her mom’s husband. She’s never really respected him or listened to a word he says. “Veronica! Not tonight. You’re going with us. I will take your computer, your phone, your money, your car, your make-up, your everything. Now get the fuck up and get dressed.” Veronica was always getting into arguments with Jack too, but she never listened to anyone if she didn’t wanna do it. Veronica sat there on the computer still looking through photos and thinking of ways to get Teresa back some how. “Oh okay, I see. You’re gonna take my money so basically steal from me. And you’re so pathetic, one of the things you’ll take is my make-up. Good punishment Jack.” Jack walked up to her and pulled his hand back, about to strike. She turned around and gave him a serious look. “Hit me.” She said. He stood there with his hand in the air. “What are you waiting for? Scared? Hit me.” Veronica said. He put his hand down but was obviously pissed at her. He saw Teresa on the computer screen. “Oh, Teresa. She one of my models I’m making big. She’s sweet, nice, kind, respectful, and beautiful.

Something you’re not. You know, the total opposite of you. Maybe you should be a little more like her.” She scolded him with the worst look she’s given to him only a few times before. Jack stood there staring down on here while she was staring up at him, like they were having a staring contest. “We’re leaving in about 20 minutes.” Jack said. “Do you really think I’d wanna go anywhere with you right now? Plus you took up 10 minutes of my getting ready time.” Veronica said. “You know what?” Jack started, “I don’t want to be around you either. Stay home, go to that party, get drunk, do stupid things, get knocked up by any guy you see. Seems to me right now, that’s all you’re worth for anyways. And if I get a call that you’re hurt, or even dead, I may just be a little relieved that I won’t have a nagging stoner to deal with anymore.” At that point Veronica had it. She took the vase Jacqueline threw at her, and slung it as hard as she could at Jack’s face. She grabbed her desk lamp and hit him with that too, burning him with the light bulb after she was done. Jack had yelled so loud, Veronica’s mom came running upstairs. “What did you do Veronica?” She screamed. Veronica stormed out the room, grabbing her purse, blackberry cell phone, her car keys, and a couple small outfits she could find laying around her room, and took off. “Where do you think you’re going?” Her mom asked. Veronica didn’t answer. She pulled out of the drive-way, down the long road, and just drove for hours. Thinking. Blasting her music very loud.

She checked her watch. It was 8:15pm and she had nothing to do. She felt like calling one of her friends and seeing if he’d like to get together but she wanted to be alone at the same time. At that second she thought about it, her friend, Chris, called. “Hey Chris.” She said quietly and slowly. “Hey dimples. You okay?” He could always tell when something was wrong, and he always called her dimples since she had these cute deep dimples. But not many people saw them since she didn’t smile much. She always seemed to smile around Chris though. “How did you know to call me?” she asked. “I wanted to talk to you. I want you to come over tonight. And my friend, Brandon, got that party going on tonight. So I was thinking we could head over there after it starts going on.” Veronica sighed; she had nothing else to do. Plus time alone with Chris may be all she needs right now. “Sure Chris. I’ll be over there in about an hour.” She started backing out of the parking spot she was in. “An hour? Where are you at?” He asked. “The beach. I had to get away.” Veronica said. “Alright dimples. I’ll see you in an hour then.” She hung up the phone and headed towards Chris’s place. He was staying with his older brother for the summer. Veronica was driving 20mph over the speed limit in her black corvette. She was hoping there wouldn’t be any cops around the area at the moment. She just wanted to get to Chris’s house soon. She pulled into his drive way around 9:10 while he was outside shooting basketball hoops.

As pulling in to park, he looked at her at the same time he was shooting. He missed the hoop; it bounced off the rim, and came back at his head. Veronica laughed at the sight of his head moving back when he got hit. Chris laughed but didn’t think it was the best thing to do in front of one of the prettiest girls he’s ever known. He went up to the car, opened the door for Veronica, and took her by her hand and walked her inside. Chris had always been so sweet to all the girls he knows, but something about Veronica made him do it a little more. “So while I was waiting for you to come over, I made you something.” Chris said. “You made me something?” Veronica couldn’t think of anything he could have made for her. “Actually I was finishing something for you.” He added. He ran to his room and came back with his acoustic guitar. Veronica loves it when he brings out his guitar. He always plays it so beautifully. He started to play his song titled ‘Dimples’ and smiled the whole time. “Wow. Dimples huh? Nice title. I’m guess this is for me?” Veronica said. “Duhh, that’s why I said I made you something, you may be cute but sometimes you aren’t the brightest.” He said jokingly. She laughed along with him and shoved his arm. Veronica liked moments like this because she always got them when she was with him. But that was the thing. With him, she only had those kinds of moments. Nothing more than cute little nick-names, fun guitar playing, laughing at stupid jokes, and being totally innocent like a little kid. She wasn’t at all innocent though, but being around him made her feel like she’d never done anything wrong before. He put his guitar down and pulled her close, as they were sitting on the couch. He had never done that before. She kind of liked it. He lay back on the couch and still had her in his arms. They were both facing the ceiling but she was more on top of him. *Well this has never happened between us before, but I think we may be getting closer.* She thought. “I’ve been missing you Veronica.” He said with his sweet and low deep voice. She turned over to face him, but was still on top. He ran his fingers through her long , red, straight, silky hair. She had these amazingly bright blue eyes that he loved to look into. His hair was perfect to Veronica. It was wavy, dark, shoulder length hair that was really soft. It always smelled good too. He also had blue eyes, but they were dark but very bright at the same time. He had small but muscular arms. She almost forgot what he had said. “What do you mean? We saw each other for a couple hours, 2 weeks ago.” Chris smiled his bright crooked smile. He looked deep in thought but didn’t say anything. He pulled her up more, holding her close, her face almost buried in his chest. He then kissed her forehead. Veronica didn’t know what to do. *Okay should I be romantic or keep calm, just incase he isn’t trying to do, what I think he’s trying to do?* She asked herself. “What do you want from me?” He asked her. “I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to ask.” She said.

“I mean, we’ve known each other for 3 years and 5 months. I’ve been counting. I know you, and I know how you are, I know who you are, I know your favorite song, I know your favorite perfume, I know your life story, I know how you think, I know you like to wear those black ripped skinny jeans, I know you like coming to those little $5 road side concerts my band an I have, I know I can tell you anything and you won’t judge, I know you think it’s a secret that you have a soft girly side, and I can tell you like spending time with me. I’m telling you I wanna be with you but I don’t know what I’d do when I go away for another year of college. But I’m asking you, what do you want from me?” Veronica had to dig through her brain to find the right words to say, so she wouldn’t say anything stupid. “Well like you said, we’ve known each other a while, and I just light up inside every time I see you. I know I’d miss you when you go off to college again, and I have one more year in high school, so maybe we shouldn’t get too caught up.” She couldn’t believe what she just said. *Why the fuck did I just say that?! Of course I wanna be with him! He’s amazing! He’s just perfect! He has a job, he’s working on a better future in his life, he’s extremely sexy, he’s so sweet, he’s the age I want, 2 years older than I am, and he’s just . . . it.*”Okay so it’s settled. We won’t date until we have a lot of time together.” He said in a some-what sad way. “No, Chris. I want you. I want to be with you, I want to know that you want me to, I want to have you and call you mine, I don’t wanna think of you as just a friend. I should have told you that. Can we just, be together?” She asked.

Chris smiled like he’d never smiled before. “And we still have about 3 months together. We could be together all the time.” Veronica added. “Move in with me.” Chris said. “What? Move in with you? You mean when I graduate? Okay, I definitely will.”

“No Veronica. Now. Here. Move in with me. We can go by your house before the party and pick up some stuff. Come on, it’ll be fun. You, me, living together, plus my brother but he’ll barely be here. 3 months. Alone. We can do whatever we want. Nothing can go wrong. Trust me.” It all did sound fun but how would Veronica get this past her mom and Jack? “You know how my parents are. They wouldn’t let it happen.” Chris had this mischievous look on his face. Veronica knew he had another one of his plans he was working on in his head. “Unless you get into so much trouble, they’ll wanna kick you out of the house.” Veronica knew he probably had a good plan. “I’ll do just about anything to get out of that place.”

No comments:

Post a Comment